My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Monday, August 01, 2005

"The other side" or "the far side", I'm not sure "witch"

So Jordan and I have both finished reading the sixth Harry Potter books. I started reading them two years ago, I wanted to see what they were for myself before unleashing them on my second grader. I was pleasantly surprised to find them well written, sure to be classic children's books.

So Jordan goes to the library with P.T. and checks out a biography on J.K. Rowlings. She comes home and tells me that one of the moms told her that witches are real and evil and basically that God does not like them.

Sooo, last night at family night, said mom approaches me.
---"I just wanted to let you know that I talked with Jordan a little at the library and I wanted to make sure you heard from me what was said."

-----"Okay." and of course I am thinking "Jordan must have exaggerated."

-----"Well, I asked her why she was choosing that book and told her that witches
are real and that I have a woman at my church who used to be a witch and now she is a Christian and I would like to give her a booklet that she wrote but I wouldn't do that without asking you first."

-----In awe, I reply "okay",... And I wonder, is it wrong to be singing "Super Freak" in your head the entire time someone is talking to you?

And then she goes to her purse to get the booklet, because Jesus's motto was be prepared...Wait maybe that's the boy scouts
ANYWAY, so she comes back with the all important booklet and says:

----"you know, Jordan is a very smart girl. She asked me some great questions, like'can you be a witch and still be a Christian?'
"
WHAT I WISH I HAD SAID!!!!!!

----" I don't know, a better question might be, can you be materialistic and still be a Christian? I mean, what WOULD Jesus do? Would he live in a $200,000 house, shop at The Gap, buy products made in third world countries by child laborers because they are so darn cute and cheap, stand on the playground and gossip about mothers to other mothers, all the while focusing on saving the world "one Harry Potter book at a time" and boycotting theme parks instead of putting their efforts into, I don't know, say, feeding the hungry, saving the o-zone, animal rights, the rain forests, or something like that? I DON'T THINK SO, FREAKY FUNDAMENTAL CHRISTIAN MOM!!!!

what I actually said:

----" well, I read all the books before I allow Jordan to read them, and then we discuss them, more on their human rights revelance than witchcraft. You know, she uses a lot of parallels with the Holocaust which is really important right now, what with the genocide in Africa and the problems in the Middle East and all."

She smiles, tells me to read the all important booklet, which warns not only of the evils of witchcraft but magic 8 balls as well, and goes home, I am sure, to pray for our Presbyterian souls.

.

Keithclan, 8:17 PM

1 Comments:

Umm so glad you can bite your tongue, I know I sure couldn't!
Blogger ashli, at 1:45 AM  

Add a comment