My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Yes, I am THAT mom

My oldest left for camp today, for a week, it is her third year to attend. I have been sending her since she was 8. Aren't I brave? It is the same camp I attended from 5th grade through high school, and where I worked as a counselor the year after. My good friend Allison whom I have know for that length of time from camp,is the program director. This is the conversation we had today.

ME: Are you going to call me tonight?
ALLISON: Yes, and I'm sure every night (as a made her do for the last 2 years, for a daily update on Jordan, not seeming so brave anymore, huh?)
ME: You don't have to call me every night this year, but definitely the first night, you know in case...
ALLISON: In case aliens come and cut off all her hair and everyone makes fun of her?

Don't scoff, this particular camp has an alarmingly high occurrence of alien head shavings. Sure, they are virtually incident free in the areas of the things you may usually worry about, drownings, snake bites, lost campers, bear attacks, beaver attacks, typhoid fever, possum attacks, squirrel attacks, leeches, etc., but although not life threatening, alien head shaving can definitely ruin one's time at camp!

Yes, I realize all the other parents send their kids to camp without a nightly report, but let's face it, that doesn't mean that I worry more than them, just that they love their children less, right?*




*Please remember my policy on comments, I only care to hear your opinion if you agree with me.
Keithclan, 12:50 PM

5 Comments:

Lucky thing you're not sending them to Kanakuk. They don't even allow phone calls...I went for the first time when I was 8. For 2 weeks. Can You even imagine the torture that my poor mother went through? And when she picked me up, I told her I wanted to come back for a month next year!!
Blogger brooke, at 4:35 PM  
was she nervous this year? A week is sooo long! You're lucky...too bad they don't accept really mobile and incredibly advanced one year old boys;)
P.S. your commenting policy sucks and I refuse to adhere!
Blogger ginny, at 9:08 PM  
Jordan was al ittle nervous about riding with the Sergents, but not about camp. I am the one who gets nervous. Not of anything in particular, just not used to having anyone gone that long. Now if they had a toddler camp...
Blogger Keithclan, at 9:29 PM  
looking forward to Jordan's blog when she gets home. will she have a camera while she's there so she can post pics too?
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 AM  
Good thing the ghosts are there to keep the kids safe! Although, I know of at least one instance at this camp where an unfortunate soul fell off a bunkbed and landed on a piano which dislocated a rib.
And for Brooke, some clarification: They do not allow phone calls (campers calling out) either. Jamie "buys off" the Program Director so she can get the scoop directly from her. (tee hee)
-ejk
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 PM  

Add a comment