My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Monday, August 28, 2006

Starting fresh

I am getting excited about starting back to work. I am setting up my room to try to accomidate the needs of the children who will be entering my class. They seem so young. Why do they seem so much younger than the kids last year? Oh yeah! I didn't start working in that room until after Christmas!

My goal is to have a very organized and "purposeful" class. I want to make sure that every task the children take on is one in which they can succeed. Every area can be maintained by the children themselves, they will be able to choose from a managable amount of manipulatives, and "carpet time" will be as interactive as possible.

My concern is that I am going to be the sole teacher. Right now, I have a managable 6 children on any one given day. I will not know until the first day of school whether this is an accurate number. It could be as high as 10 or 12. Can one teacher really maintain order with 12 young 3 year olds? It is certainly not ideal, I will certainly try my hardest, but I am concerned about it. Especially since we tend to attract, let's say, "quirky" parents. Parents who drop kids off at all times of the day, and this once, a parent brought a movie in with her child and said "You are going to have to watch this today. It is the only way I could get him out of the house."


Anyone, I would love some feedback (and some advice from Amy) on how to manage parents without being offensive. I want them to have their children in class by 10:00 (a 30 minute leeway), not bring toys from home (comfort items are fine, but 3 spiderman action figures don't qualify as comfort items, in my book), and understand that, although it may seem to them that their children are "playing", that they are actually learning. I understand that these are their "babies", and I myself have been guilty of giving into a child's request to bring a favorite toy. I don't believe these are "bad" parents, and want to make sure I give them the respect they deserve. A little help?
Keithclan, 4:29 PM

1 Comments:

call me. You have my number?
Blogger Keithclan, at 8:20 PM  

Add a comment