My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Will Blog For Food

I have some startling confessions I would like to make about myself:


---My kids wear hand-me-downs. Not only hand-me-downs, but clothes that often came to my house via thrift stores, consignment sales, and other kids' hand-me-downs. And then? They are worn by their siblings.


---My husband and I both drive fairly old cars. They have cloth seats (JK ASHLI), we actually have to pull the doors closed, they are not in perfect condition by any means, and this summer? We have had to watch our gas usage even in town to stay in budget.



---Here is where the gasps start. We have seven people in a 3 bedroom house. Our couch was purchased at a thrift store for under $100, and it took weeks and bottles of Febreeze to get the dog smell out. It also has several patches. The rest of our furniture is mostly hand-me-down, and Oh yeah, we RENT (gasp, you know you want to)


---My biggest confession? My children are on state health insurance. (pause for gasps and sighs) My husband works for a small company that can't yet offer affordable (for us) insurance, and because I have real children who have normal health issues like ear infections, tubes, allergies, enlarged adnoids, etc. we can also not afford private insurance.


I know there are people who think we had no right to have the number of children that we did. I know there are those who pity them, and think they have second class lives. What keeps me from crying buckets daily for my sad life? From leaving them at an orphanage or in front of Rosie O'Donnel's house? Why do I not feel sorry for myself?

Because although we are poor with a capital P according to American standards,we are rich if you think in worldly terms.

Yes, our children wear second hand clothes, they are always clean, (at the start of the day, at least) and well dressed. EUC, in Ebay terms.

Our cars are old, but in fairly good shape and we have NO CAR PAYMENT! Although we weren't able to afford a "real" vacation this year, we have been able to take several small trips, and my kids (except Lillian) have been swimming every week, and then some. The girls attended some really neat day camps, Jordan went to real camp, we have been to the zoo, parks, etc.

We rent a house. A house with central H/A, a dishwasher, 1&1/2 bathrooms, 2 living areas, a dining room...The girls room is big enough to accommodate all 3 of them, etc.


I have moments of self pity. Our generation is a generation of over extended credit. "Buy it now, worry about it later" We have channels like HGTV and TLC that tell us 24 hours a day we need nicer house, furniture, decorations, yards.....

But let us not forget while we worry about what we don't have these people exist People who deal with REAL issues, like this, and this, and this, that make any of the problems in my life seem shallow and insignificant. How can I be ashamed of a life that would be cherished by so many? My children don't have a clue we are poor, because we lead rich lives.

And that's my (rather lengthy) 2 cents.
Keithclan, 4:02 PM

4 Comments:

No gasps, sighs, or ahs coming from me!

Just about every piece of my kids' clothing is a thrift store find (gotta love Savers!) or a hand-me-down!
Blogger LaughterThoughts, at 5:35 PM  
Lillian was overheard in the girls bathroom complaining that she didnt get the cast with the glitter bling on it. Just thought I would let you know.
Blogger Summer, at 1:45 PM  
Did someone say something rude to you make you feel like you had to write all that? Have 20 kids and do what you want, Jamie. It doesn't matter what other people think.
Blogger Unknown, at 2:37 PM  
Whoa, Karen! I have my hands full with 5, I'm throwing in the towel!

Fortunately, all of the close people in my life are very supportive. If I just through away the blasted TV set, and never went into Target (Curse you Target!) I would probably never pity myself or feel inadequate.

Thanks for the support.
Blogger Keithclan, at 5:59 PM  

Add a comment