My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Monday, September 25, 2006

Blah, blah, blah, about work

Since blogger always hates me now and will never allow me to post pictures....

I am really enjoying my class this year, I have several boys in my 3 year old class that I had in the baby room. For the most part, it is a very calm room, with a lot of very compassionate children. We only have one girl, but she is very sweet.
The year really is going well..

I have one little boy who is having some troubles. I am not even going to try to pretend to give him a specific diagnosis, I am just not well enough informed. He doesn't seem to have any realization of the personal space of others, most of the other children avoid him, he has some alarming behaviors (biting himself, pulling his own hair, even kicking himself), and doesn't seem to connect to others in general. He becomes very irritated during group activities, and doesn't transition well. Although he is very intelligent, the answer to any direct question is "T-rex".


Another little boy's mother came to me with some concerns, her son told her this little boy got in trouble a lot and it really bothered her son (he doesn't really get "In trouble", but her son didn't have another explanation for his behaviors). That same day, he had a very disturbing fit, and I had to pry his mouth off the door to allow a parent out of the room. I asked my director to set up a meeting with the mother for that afternoon. She called the mother to ask her to come in early, and the mother persisted for a conversation then.

My director is not a people person, especially on the phone.

I was in the middle of a painting project, but could hear a little of the conversation. There were a lot of negative "behavior oriented" statements. "your son doesn't mind unless he wants to. He doesn't listen to his teacher, he only does what he wants..."

What I would have said. "(son's name) seems to be having a difficult time transitioning between organized activities" "he doesn't seem to be connecting well with the teachers" "although he expresses a desire to interact with the other children, he seems to be having a hard time integrating into their activities"


She came to pick her son up 10 minutes later. I said hello and she looked past me and told her son it was time to go.


I should have found a way to talk to her. She left confused and angry, and I wish I would have prevented that. I hope she comes back tomorrow, and I have a chance to fix it.
Keithclan, 4:11 PM

3 Comments:

I hate situations like that, don't you?! It sounds like the mom felt like she needed to defend her mommy-ing skills and her child. We all know you don't mess with mama-bear:) But......you are right, you should totally try and talk to her tomorrow. She might just need someone to talk to and things usually look different the next day. I hope it goes well and you'll have to post and let us know.

Blogger apparently hates all of my pictures too. I've been having a heck of a time lately...
Blogger Pam, at 3:21 PM  
How frustrating that must be! Not just to be dealing with the boy in class and not knowing exactly what the "problem" is, but more so to have someone else deal with the situation in the manner it was! Do you think the boy will come back and then maybe you can "resolve" things with the mom?
Blogger LaughterThoughts, at 3:22 PM  
What a hard situation. It does sound like there is something more going on besides typical little kid behavior, though. I'm guessing that the mother has heard stuff like this before or she may not have reacted the way she did.

Blogger hates me too this week.
Blogger Unknown, at 6:39 PM  

Add a comment