My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Friday, September 08, 2006

Shameless in America

I hate selling things for my kids' schools. Hate it! Which is ironic because I have fond memories of selling Girl Scout cookies. That was in a small town, though, and we went door to door.

I save Box Tops and Tyson Chicken labels, spend a small fortune on Bingo nights...

My kids are used to disappointment at the prize ceremonies for their school fund raisers.

I thought I would give it a whirl on the old internet this year. Go to this site www.innisbrook.com * and see if you would like to give my children a chance to not be the only ones in the whole school sitting hopelessly on the floor while all the other kids go up to get their really cool and exclusive prizes (shameless guilt plug). Oh, and it's a chance to help a really good school, too.


On the subject of really good schools, I watched a John Stossel report called Stupid in America the other night. I am not a fan of John Stossel, but it was a very interesting show. I am pleased to tell you that while watching I had much less of a "Oh crap, my kids are doomed to fail" reaction and much more of a "hmmm, my kids have great opportunities that don't seem to be available nationwide" reaction.

I have complained about the "college application" type process that my daughter has to go through this year to get into the school of her choice, But it is THE SCHOOL OF HER CHOICE. There are several good magnet and charter schools in the area, and while they are not perfect, and can't accommodate all of the students in the district, it is a giant step in the right direction.

So let's sell, sell, sell, or rather buy, buy, buy, people! (No pressure, really)

* School and prize information:
Wilson Elementary, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and student prize info is J Keith 5. Thanks!
Keithclan, 3:59 PM

2 Comments:

I always stunk at fundraisers as a kid. Never got a single prize.

My son's school is doing Otis Spunkmeyer cookie dough this year. I'm stoked. I'll be his top customer.

So I checked out the website. If there'd been a Washington State flag I'da been sold.
Blogger Unknown, at 5:38 PM  
I hope I can buy from you in person; I saw a few things I'd get, but I'd rather not order online. So bring a form to school! -Camille
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 PM  

Add a comment