My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Monday, October 02, 2006

Fear

I heard about the amish school shooting today on the way to pick up my kids from their school.

They were discussing on the radio the fact that this is the third incident in a month, and asking the question "do you feel your kids are safe at school?"

Sitting in the car pool lane, my mind began to wander, thinking of horrid possible scenarios, someone could walk up with a gun after school, and even with all the parents and teachers right there, lives could easily be lost.

I no longer panic about these things, though. In the last few years, I have come to grips with the fact that evil can reach just about anywhere it wants. It could steal my children from their sleeping beds, set our house on fire, kidnap my children, and short of living in a cage, I would be powerless to stop it.

Strangely, this realization is comforting to me. I can protect my children from the daily hazards, have them wash their hands to protect from germs, teach them to look both ways when they cross the street, teach them to scream and run away if someone they don't know ever tries to make them go with them, but that doesn't make them untouchable.

What could I possibly find comforting in that?

Knowing that although something terrible could happen to my children, odds are it will not. Understanding that as a parent my job is not the impossible task of keeping them safe from every little thing that could harm them or cause them discomfort, but the much easier and more enjoyable task of making sure they feel loved, have a home in which they feel safe and welcome, and that they know they can always have a parent to talk to, no matter what.

Knowing that if I accomplish that, they will have happy and fulfilling lives, and although I pray that will never be touched by an unloved, consciousless person, knowing that they will not become that person.

That is how I sleep at night, (when I don't have an 18 month old foot in my ribs). Also, knowing that most people are good, that most people are not out to harm me or my children, but rather living their lives, trying to find their place and purpose, just like me.

Although I never want my children to be harmed, I also do not want them to see others as the "enemy", every stranger as a danger, I don't want them to fear people. What do you think?
Keithclan, 3:28 PM

3 Comments:

I saw this on one of the news channels today and thought to myself, "Again?!" and then of course my mind went to wondering what my child's school does to prevent such a thing. The fear that can grip a mother is horrible.

Thanks for putting it in a perspective other than fear.
Blogger Unknown, at 5:21 PM  
I agree... I struggle with this daily as I now live in a city with more than a million people and we have the highest crime rate for a city this size... I remember growing up in Big Mac, though, and I wouldn't call it Mayberry. As you say, evil can find you where ever you are... even Paradise. Elena
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 PM  
Such a fine line here you know? I feel just like you. I want my kids to play and just enjoy being kids without them worrying that every person is out to get them. I teach them to be careful and be aware and to just use common sense and then I just have to pray. I can't protect them from all that is wrong with this world, but I can do my best and I can leave the rest to God. But when I see all the shootings on the news like last week, I can't help but squeeze them extra tight.
Blogger Pam, at 10:31 AM  

Add a comment