My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Hardest Part

I take my class to chapel once a week, and this week they sang "oh be careful little eyes what you see." In case you are unfamiliar with this children's hymn, it reminds children to be careful what they see, do, where they go, because God is always watching.

Of course this is a good rule of thumb to follow for adults, as well. Christianity, as well as many other religions, believe in an ominous creator, who is able to see our every move and even know our every thought.

Although this should be enough to keep any believer in line most of the time, it is easy to ignore the all seeing eyes of God because we cannot see them ourselves.


The good thing is that this song reminds us that "the Father up above, He is looking down in LOVE......"


However, what has been motivating me to be a better person lately are not the eyes that are looking down on me, but rather the eyes that are looking up at me, and there are 10 of them.

Although I don't doubt my children's' love, their eyes are not looking up in love, but looking for guidance, an example to follow.

And they see virtually every move I make. Hear every word I say, and know what is in my heart by my facial expressions.

Unlike the unchanging eyes of God, these eyes are very impressionable. Luckily, we don't have to worry about influencing God with our bad behaviors. God will never take up smoking because He thinks we look so cool doing it, or talk disrespectful to His siblings/friends because that's how mommy and daddy talk to each other.

When we err in the eyes of God, we know that our remorse will grant us absolute forgiveness. While our children can be very forgiving, they don't forget so easily.


It really quite overwhelming. Questions like "If breakfast is so important, mommy, why are you only having coffee? Or not having it at all?"
"If those words are bad to say, why do you mumble them sometimes when you are in traffic?"
"You looked bored in church today. Do you think church is boring?"

And on, and on..... Behaviors that we have never given much thought to as being negative can seem so obviously that when mimicked by our children.

It seems more and more important to me to share my faith with my children. We are never going to be able to be a perfect example for our children, and we are certain to pass along a few of our least desirable qualities. But what a relief to be able to pass along a perfect and infallible example as well. I believe in a God whose love cannot be lost, who is slow to anger, quick to forgive, and who wants nothing more than for us to know true happiness.

I hope that when my children look back on their childhood, that they don't just remember a mom who was buried in laundry, forever stuck in traffic, and exhausted by the end of the day. I hope to have taught them acceptance, love, and forgiveness.

No one ever says "remember that time, mom, when you were folding our socks and zoning off in to space, counting the hours until bedtime?"

I am going to go make brownies with my kids now, throw caution to the wind, and let them lick the beaters, a memory no child should be denied....
Keithclan, 2:50 PM

6 Comments:

I needed this reminder.

Sheesh, what a day. Thanks, Jamie.
Blogger Unknown, at 9:58 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:35 PM  
Dear anonymous commenter,
I have deleted your comment largely due to the fact that it was 3x the length of my original post, not to mention the fact that it was irrelevant to the content minus the fact that I used the word "Christian". Sorry you feel that I am disfavored, I'm glad I know otherwise.....
Blogger Keithclan, at 11:45 AM  
Nice reformed theology, there :)! Sharing my faith with Simon is something I am both excited and scared of. I just started a book on children and prayer and it says we need to be careful not to teach our children God is watching and will smite us if we mess up... glad you added the LOVE part! Elena
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:30 PM  
Licking batter from the beaters. I am sooooo that kind of mom. As long as the beaters have stopped beating before they lick 'em we're all in good shape:) Besides, I remember eating raw cookie dough as a kid and I'm still alive!

What on earth was with that enormously large comment anyways? I saw it here and then on Kate's site too. I'm sure it was one other spot, but now I forget. Very, very strange. You handled it perfectly however!
Blogger Pam, at 12:31 PM  
Thanks for this post. How 'bout we get you some glasses and a fake moustache for Sunday morning "stand-in" sermons?

ejk
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 PM  

Add a comment