My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

End of an Era

Today was my last day. I was a little sad, but I am sick, so it is hard to have too much emotion when your head weighs 500 pounds and there are squirrels with jackhammers inside of it. Mostly today I just felt....Sick.


One of my boys gave me a teddy bear. The smile on his face when I opened it was one of the memories that will remind me why I work with children. One mom cried as she told me that she is thankful for the progress her son has made in my class and that she believes it is do largely to me, and another mother said she hoped that every time I look at the (gorgeous) ornament her son gave me I will remember that I helped make his transition into preschool a great thing.


I have to say, I am thankful for my head cold that kept me from feeling to much of anything. Sadness, yes, but anger as well. Anger at being basically forced out and my director's refusal to admit it. Anger that she feels she could stick a trained monkey in the class without anyone noticing or caring that I was gone.


Also, anger at the parents who weren't so nice. Parents who believe that you are their child's teacher first, and anything else that defines you a distant second. Parents who were extremely rude to my replacement for leaving her room to come to mine, even though it will be a great thing for her and her daughter. Honestly, if you aren't happy with the care your child is receiving, and you don't think that your voice is received well enough to make changes, find someplace else. Don't take it out on the teachers who put up with enough crap daily and still manage to have a great attitude about changing your kids poopy diapers and wiping their snotty noses. I'll say it and mean it, good preschool and infant teachers are saints, (self included).


Now that that's off my chest, I will get back to preparing for a great Christmas, and a Happy New Year! Hope you all have the same!
Keithclan, 3:31 PM

6 Comments:

Hm. What should I say? Sorry? Congrats? Best wishes in your new place? All of the above? What a mixed bag of emotions you must have tonight.
Blogger Unknown, at 9:17 PM  
Have a Merry Christmas - you and your family deserve it!

Perhaps an ornament made from a lump of coal or 2 for your old boss?
Blogger Pam, at 5:04 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:52 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogger Keithclan, at 5:02 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogger Keithclan, at 5:55 PM  
Jamie- I owe you an apology for my last comment. I let my emotions get the best of me; best of luck on the new job. -Camille
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 PM  

Add a comment