My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Monday, January 01, 2007

First letter of 2007

Dear James Dobson and Michael Medved,

I am so thankful that I listened to your warnings on the true agenda of the movie "Happy Feet", because I fear I wouldn't have caught it at all on my own. And to think, I could have walked out of that movie theater with my only concern being that I didn't really want my four year old singing the lyrics to Prince's "Kiss"!

I feel that the other supposed agenda has gotten way more publilcity, (though I'm not sure why, because even if you think Al Gore is making the whole global warming thing up, how can you argue that it isn't right to teach our children to respect the Earth and all the resources that God has so graciously given us...) But I don't want to get off track.

Without being educated by you, I would have ignorantly believed that because the main character of the story himself was obviously in love with a female penguin, that the rift between the father and son represented rifts that can be caused by: Sons making career choices that the father doesn't approve of, the ol' father wants the kid to be a doctor/lawyer, kid wants to be actor/writer (singing vs. dancing); Father doesn't approve of son's friends (they are a different kind of penguin); or father and son have different political/religious beliefs, father believes God sends bad things into the world as a punisment for sin, son believes the actions of people are directly affecting the world and we need to be more respectful of the Earth, (the aliens are taking the fish away vs the fish are gone because the penguin dances). But clearly the only thing that could tear apart the relationship between a father and son where the son pleads the father to accept him for who he is is sexual oriantion. Thanks for keeping me "focused".


I feel like you should get in touch with these people (who believe that such cartoons as "Handy Manny" and "Dora" have a communist agenda), and figure out how that ties into the "gayification" of the country, because I am sure that it, like everything else, does. And to think,I thought Dora was for some unknown reason trying to create a generation of children without voice control, telling our children to "say it louder!" when we have asked them to be quiet because a younger sibling was sleeping. I am so naive!



Sincerely,
Mom to Many
Keithclan, 6:12 PM

2 Comments:

Now that is how to kick the new year off right!!! I guess I am the naive one because I have been so busy listening to the all Christmas music station that I hadn't even heard of anything from Focus on The Family regarding Happy Feet. No what I think? I think that there was this huge kick of how you couldn't discipline your kids and that you were no longer supposed to be a parent - you were supposed to be your childs bestfriend and leave the boundaries and discipline behind and now all of a sudden the "experts" figured out this wasn't such a great idea afterall so they are going way overboard and completely overanalyzing every movie, book, etc. The "experts" don't think we can be parents any longer and feel the need to do it for us. Ugh... Seriously, all the effort these people put into the Davinci Code, Harry Potter and now Happy Feet (so you tell me:)) could have been put to a much better use, don't you think?

Geez, am I long winded or what??? But seriously, I think I'll send you an email - Since you too are a mother of 5 maybe you could pass some organizational tips my way. With the new house and all I am just swimming trying to keep everything up and I know there must be better ways. HELP!!!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 AM  
Good grief. That is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Why can't they just leave innocent children's programming alone?

I love Handy Manny. He's so softspoken and thoughtful. Both traits my three year old could stand to learn a bit of. I guess she'll grow up to be a Communist. Damn.
Blogger Unknown, at 11:25 AM  

Add a comment