My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Friday, January 12, 2007

The Sky is Falling!

In OkC, we are currently having an ice storm. I pulled my older girls out of school at 11:00 when I picked Pierce up from Kindergarten, mainly because of the hoards of other children being checked out early. Also, although we live very close to the school, I realize some the teachers live pretty far away, and wouldn't want them to stay at school because I felt like having a quieter afternoon.

But honestly? At 11:00, the roads weren't that bad. They were a little slushy, people should definitely drive with a little bit of elevated caution, but does that honestly justify 24 hour news coverage on all three local stations?


Last night, I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things, and arrived at a scene that I can't imagine could be much more dramatic if they announced a nuclear bomb was on it's way. There were no carts, and they were out of most of the staples, toliet paper, bread, jugs of water, and milk. And while I admit it is a little annoying to have to go to another store to buy milk, or, God forbid, buy soy or powdered milk, does it really justify standing in front of the empty milk case, hands on head, pacing, declaring (practically screaming) "They are out of MILK? What am I supposed to do now?!?" And there were as many carts filled with carbonated beverages and Cheetos as there were those filled with bread and toliet paper, and there was no shortage at all of fresh fruits and vegetables.


It all leads me to ask a few questions:

First, how isolated do we feel in our society? Everyone I know who lives in the city lives within 30 feet of someone else, on the same block as dozens of houses. Should the worst happen, and travel becomes utterly impossible for several days, would we really starve rather than go to a neighbor for help? Do we really feel that if we did ask for help, that shades would closed and doors would be slammed in our faces? And don't most people live close enough to a convience store or grocery store that, even if the roads were very slick, we would be able to make it to find nourishment?

Second, how hard is it for Americans to make the distinction between basic needs and conviences and wants? Yes, we may really want to have some milk for our Cheerios, but woould we perish without it in a three day period? There was no shortage of yogurt or cheese, or a variety of other sources of calcium. And while we may have a bit of a Dr. Pepper or (God forbid) Diet Coke addiction, we could all live without it for a few days, right?

I know that storms like these are an issue for many people, especially the elderly, and people with small children, undoubtedly single parents. And if I had seen a mother of a newborn sobbing in front of the empty milk case, I would have gone to buy some at the closest store where it was available and brought it back to her, because I understand all to well that even the smallest kink can seem like a major tragedy during that insane period known as postpartum.

But chances are, if you were able to make it to Wal-Mart last night, you will be able to make it through this terrible storm.

And by the way? Lady in the black Honda? If you really want my parking space? Even though you are maknig at least 10 cars wait behind you so that you can have a better spot than them? Please back up enough to give me room to back out.

And that's my two cents.
Keithclan, 2:54 PM

5 Comments:

I totally hear you on this... Dallas is about to get some bad stuff, too, so I stayed out of WM today... When I really think about what I have in my pantry, (tuna, can of beans, oatmeal...) it may make for odd combinations, but I would be far from starving! I hate 'mob mentality'. Elena
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 PM  
I went to Wally World yesterday around 10am and they were packed, and of course out of a lot of stuff. But I got back at them by taking my $300 worth of stuff through the self checkout line. One woman made a comment and when I turned and looked at her she had nothing else to say. I just hated having to get the baby out, but I wasn't the only one. Then my husband went to Blockbuster around 6 last night and they were packed and out of movies. He said the roads weren't bad so later he went to KFC. I worried the entire time he was gone but he made it back safely. He's braver than I!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:44 AM  
Hi Jamie-
I just read through your blog. I haven't been on here in a while. There are a lot of new things in your life right now! I would love to hear more about your new job!
Amy
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 PM  
People are funny aren't they? How about a little planning ahead maybe? I'm not the most organized person in the world but I always try and have enough staples on hand to last a few days. Besides, with 5 kids, who really wants to always be running to the store? lol

Way to go Heather! loved your comment:)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM  
now what i like to do (because i figure she probably could use the exercise anyway) is just take an obnoxiously long time loading into the car... and then just sit in there and shuffle through my purse and mess with the radio and then back out of the space after the lady in the black honda has gotten so frustrated and has finally given up and moved on. passive aggressive, i know. but it makes me giggle a little.

it frustrates me so much because i know she could have already parked and been in long before i pull my stalling tactics.
Blogger LaughterThoughts, at 8:39 PM  

Add a comment