My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Friday, May 11, 2007

Fool me once...

Yesterday was Pierce and Lillian's end of the year music performance. They were really cute. I am hoping to post a video clip, with the help of my beloved husband (meaning he does it for me) but that is not what this post is about.

I decided to take Max with me, partially because he knows all of the songs and I thought he would enjoy it, and partially because that would give the subs for my room one less child to watch (in case you don't know, I work in the preschool in Max's room.)

So I let Max eat a preemptive cookie while we are waiting for the concert to start, and after he finishes it, he starts saying "Mommy. I have to go potty. I have to go potty mommy! PLEASE!" while holding himself.

People, he just turned two in March. I thought I would try potty training in August, while I have the month off of work to work on it. This is the kid who, last month, watched his older brother pee-pee in the potty, and when he was done shouted. "YEAH! AGAIN! AGAIN!" As if Pierce had just performed a grand magic trick. About the same time, he was squatting and playing in the bathtub, and when he stood up, he peed a little. He gasped, and then began squatting and standing up over and over again, trying to make it happen again.

Yes, this past month he has made remarkable strides in his vocabulary, as well as boundaries. I can say "Max, come here, please." And he does it! But potty training?

So, I answer Max's begging to go potty (which is, of course, happening right as the kids are loading on to the bleachers) with "we can try to go potty when Pierce and Lillian are done singing." and I catch out of the corner of my eye the appalled look of the woman sitting next to me. Max is a big boy, and is often mistaken for a three year old, and I am sure she thought I was horrible for making my potty training child wait thirty minutes to go potty.

So fast forward to that afternoon. My kids go to the "late room" while I clean up my room. And Max? Goes potty for the late room teacher!

So, I made a trip to Target last night, bought the Thomas underwear, the Dora potty seat, and a new pack of diapers. I am beyond skeptical, I am downright doubtful. I have never ever heard a story of a boy that was easily potty trained around his second birthday. But I will give it try. He is in undies right now, and has been for an hour. He has sat on the potty and flushed it about a hundred times, but no success.


Dear Max,
I am willing to spend Mother's day weekend at home with you, most of it in the bathroom, using words like "poopy" and "tinkle", because I am your mother and I love you. However, if you are not really interested in being potty trained, and you ask me when you are in third grade "Mommy! Can't I use the potty like the other boys? It's embarrassing that I wear diapers! The other kids make fun of me!" I will remind you that we already tried to get you to use the potty, and how embarrassing it was for mommy when you made her look bad in front of the other mommies for not taking you to the potty, and we will try again when you are in fifth grade.

Love, Mommy Dearest

Keithclan, 9:14 AM

2 Comments:

way to go, max! hopefully his enthusiasm continues and training is quick and successful!
Blogger LaughterThoughts, at 9:36 PM  
Have I told you about I-man's firt potty experience?

Please email me at firstname@lastname.com (the whole first name). I have a story I really want to send you!

Eleven more sleeps!!!!!!!

lizzee
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

Add a comment