My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Oklahoma is Ok?

I love living in Oklahoma, but I still am still having a hard time embracing the slang. I hardly ever say "ya'all", and it pains me to type it. I'm never "fixin' to" do anything, and (this one KILLS me), I never have "no ideal what chur talkin' 'bout". I don't shop at "The Wal-marts" either.

I'm not saying I look down on the people who use Okie slang. I usually don't even notice it. But for some reason I can't stand to hear such things come out of the mouths of my children. I think I have already mentioned that Jordan and Ashton both wrote stories in first grade about the three little pigs and the house they made out of "strawl". Pierce just brought home a story about his new kitten (yes, we still have it) and how it likes to "play with yur lag." It also like to "greek milk" (drink milk).

And although I love, love, love, his kindergarten teacher, and am totally impressed with the unprecedented progress her class has made this year, I winced the other day as she told me that "Supposibly the test Pierce had taken...." I don't remember the rest of what she said.

What slang Ya'all got round yur parts? Or ain't ya got none at all?
Keithclan, 11:50 AM

1 Comments:

When we moved from Oklahoma to here I had a hard time dropping the "y'all" from my vocabulary and mostly because the alternative term around here for it is so ridiculously stupid sounding.

"You guys"

It doesn't matter the gender make-up of the group. It's all "you guys". Where are you guys going tonight? How are you guys? Hey guys!

It's been like fifteen years or something and I STILL hate that term.

The other is deemed a "Mormon term": "Oh my heck!" Equally as dumb.
Blogger Unknown, at 5:48 PM  

Add a comment