My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Why's it always gotta be the guy with the beard?

If you've read the Harry Potter books, you know there is a lot more going on in them than Quidditch matches and potion classes. J.K. Rowling recently stated that she has always viewed the books as "a prolonged argument for tolerance." I see many parallels between Hitler and Voldemort (though J.K. has said there isn't meant to be) and Jordan, who is fascinated by books on the holocaust, has noted them on her own right. There are also the house elves, and Hermione, who is a strong female character, and her fight for their rights. I think that it makes sense for J.K., who doesn't try to hide the sexuality of teenagers and their fondness of "snogging", to have a homosexual character in the book.

I was, however, saddened by the press release.

We have already had our run-ins with anti-Harry Potter folks. And, quite frankly, I don't care much about what the think at all. It is an evil book in their minds already. But I would hate to see it become labeled as a gay rights book. Because to me it much more than that. I am sure, as well, that Dumbledore's fondness for Harry will also be questioned. Evey word he spoke to him, glance he gave them, touch between them will be over analyzed to death.

Even Harry potter fans will view the book differently. When studying the books, I can see a question "What do you think Dumbledore meant by that?" followed with "Remember, his character is gay".

J.K. has said that Dumbledore's love for Grindewald was evident. I read the last book, and didn't catch it. Yes, Dumbledore acts uncharacteristically to seek his approval, but that is par for teenagers regardless of sexual attraction. Seeking approval of peers is not always sexually driven. Even now, I dress up as much when I'm going out with the girls as I do when I am going out with my husband.

The characters of a book are born from the authors mind, and I respect that.I know that this is not my story, and I'm not about to go all "Misery" on J.K. Rowling (though I would have if she had tried to stop the books before the series was over, me and my pig named Hermione) but I hope that people still are able to see the books for all that they are. I am glad that at least one of my children was able to read it untainted.

And by the way, how dense am I? I always though it was Professor McGonagall that was gay!
Keithclan, 4:35 PM

1 Comments:

I had no clue either and was stunned by the press release. Just one more reason for the uber-conservatives to hate the books. It kind of pisses me off!
Blogger lifeinsuburbia, at 8:02 PM  

Add a comment