My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Happy New Year!

Hello! I hope everyone had a great holiday season! Ours was, with the exception of a few kinks. ICE STORM 2007!!!!! had us displaced for a few days, but luckily we were able to stay in a family friend's guest house. Cramped, yes, but the kids thought it was an adventure. We watched "Elf" every night for at least a week. When asked what he thought Santa would bring him for Christmas, Max began answering "candy, candy canes, and candy corns" a line from the movie. Which is better than the "give me a juice box, biatch" that he picked up a few months earlier from "Zathura". It has since been banned from the Keith house.

We went to Kansas City for Christmas and got caught in some pretty nasty weather on the way there. Usually a five hour drive, it would have been a ten plus hour drive had we made it the whole way. We decided to stay the night in Emporia after traveling a dashing ten miles an hour behind a snow plow for an hour. The roads were much better in the morning, and we had a great trip.


I was pretty sure I was going to make my blogging hiatus a permanent one. I have been very frustrated as of late with the whole blog thing. What is the purpose of my blog?
What direction do I want to take it? Should it be a mostly picture blog? Hard to do without a digital camera. Should it be an outlet for my frustrations? Nothing but "dear so and so" letters? Or a brag blog? All about how great my kids are? Or the opposite, a "you wouldn't believe how hard it is to have five kids" blog?

I am not a bare my sole kind of gal, there are many things that I don't mind sharing with most of the dozen or so of you who read my blog, but this is the Internet. Some of the people who find my blog via searching creepy phrases on Google, yeah, I don't so much want them to know my deepest darkest secrets.

However, if I am going to have a blog, it needs to reflect who I am. What my daily life is really like, my beliefs, my likes and dislikes....That's all so hard to do if you aren't going to spend more than ten minutes a week on your blog.


Alright, this next part is going to sound corny, so bear with me.

Like I said, I was pretty sure I was throwing in the towel. I had decided to try a daily journal,something that I and later my children could look back on and remember what that week, month, year was like. But then my mom gave a present for Christmas. This really cool jigsaw puzzle made almost entirely of pictures she had obtained from "My Hamper Floweth Over." Putting it together really made me nostalgic.

So I am going to give it another whirl. I am going to dedicate a little more time to it, and try not to view time blogging as time wasted. Corny, yes, but I am leaving a mark. The baby books are barely filled out, our calendar is dry erase, the camera is so many times forgotten, I just don't want the moments of our lives to be forgotten in all the chaos of the day to day.

So happy 2008! May it be a great one for us all!
Keithclan, 9:09 PM

5 Comments:

"Should it be an outlet for my frustrations? Nothing but "dear so and so" letters? Or a brag blog? All about how great my kids are? Or the opposite, a "you wouldn't believe how hard it is to have five kids" blog?"

I guess I view all of these aspects of life as a reflection on who a person is. Some days are great, some days are hard, some days are mostly nonsense. There's nothing wrong with a blog reflecting those things, your children will look back on what you wrote and know who you were as a person from day to day- from the heart- not just as the person who made them lunch and took them places.

I'm glad you're not quitting. I love your sense of humor about the good and not-so-good things in life. :)
Blogger Unknown, at 10:28 PM  
I've had the same thoughts about the blog as you mentioned. I've just decided to power through! I will appreciate it later. :)
Blogger lifeinsuburbia, at 9:03 AM  
"gimme a juice box biatch!!!" Ok, so now that is my new favorite movie line:)

I've missed you! Been stalking your blog looking for some new posts. I must admit I miss my blog pretty badly. I might have to start up again. I'm just worried about not being able to juggle school, kids, husband, house and everything that goes with it and a blog too. Time will tell.

Welcome back! Cannot wait to hear all about the Keith household happenings again - both exciting and bland.
Blogger Pam, at 12:49 PM  
welcome home :)
Blogger LaughterThoughts, at 12:58 PM  
Your blog is something I look forward to, please don't stop! Your writing is awesome: entertaining, loving, honest, and just the right amount of warp. You have a gift, and you will enjoy this gift years from now. Iv'e already made it my sworn Christmas tradition to read your post from last Christmas every year (along with watching Elf, of course). It makes me laugh out loud, and when I'm stuck in a line at a store and about to become cranky I think, "well, at least the cashier is not actively vomiting," and I smile and chill out. Thanks and keep it up!

lizzee
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 PM  

Add a comment