My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Monday, March 03, 2008

Late night reflections on a consignment sale

I want to meet the people who are asking someone to spend $20-$30 on their five year old lightly faded, lightly pilled Gymboree outfits.

I want to meet the people who buy them.

We all know Mary-Kate and Ashley is sold at Wal-Mart and Mossimo and Cherokee come from Target. Writing "boutique" on the tag fools no one.

Call me crazy, but it shocks me when I see a size 8-10 Thomas the Tank Engine shirt.

On the other hand, when I see two shirts by different brands in a girl's size 7 that say "Me, my cell*, and I", I find that equally disturbing.

Don't get me wrong,I stand in line with laundry basket in hand in the freezing cold at eight o'clock on a week night anxiously awaiting the moment I am let inside to rummage through other people's hand-me-downs with the best of them.

I stand elbow to elbow in poorly lit and heated aluminium buildings, heart all a flutter when I find treasure hidden among the racks.

Ah, the joys of bargain shopping.....

*As in cell phone
Keithclan, 11:10 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment