My hamper floweth over

The Keith Family News

Saturday, August 18, 2007

An update on the update

Friday Pierce had all of his stitches taken out. They initially thought he would need steri-strips on his leg, but they had healed better than expected. He still has to take it easy for a few weeks, but he isn't feeling sore at all anymore. Incredibly itchy, but not sore.

I am always amazed at the speed at which children heal. Physically, I expected his recovery to take much longer. Unfortunately, I underestimated the psychological effect the experience would have.

We took Otis for a walk around the block Friday.Halfway around the block, we heard a dog barking in a nearby backyard. Pierce grabbed my hand. A few houses later, someone opened their back door to let their two dogs into their backyard. They ran towards the chain link fence barking, and Pierce was overcome with fear. I held him close, tried to reassure him, and as we continued walking, we encountered several more yards with dogs and it was hard for him to keep walking. I could feel his whole body trembling, his little heart beating so rapidly. Luckily, when we got to our house, there was a very thoughtful cookie bouquet waiting on our front porch. It was the perfect distraction from the unpleasant trip around the block.

My sensitive little guy is no stranger to phobias. For over a year, he was extremely afraid of black men. It was a paralyzing fear that was often a little embarrassing for us. He would hide behind us, trembling, and there was no denying what he was afraid of. He told me that two black men had climbed through his window and taken him away once, and even though his window is painted shut on the inside and all of his screens and storm windows were in tact, he could not believe that it was a nightmare.

Then there was the whole "clown coming into his bedroom at night" incident that turned out to be the result of an art project hanging in his room. And although some (Lizzee) may argue the rationality of a clown phobia, this is obviously different.

So, I would love to hear some opinions on therapy. Should I give him some time, see if it the fear fades on its own? Should we try pet therapy? Reenactment with toys? Primal screaming? He is sleeping in our bed, and won't go to sleep unless we are with him. I just want him to feel safe again.

Awaiting your input. Mom to many
Keithclan, 3:49 PM

2 Comments:

My vote is give it some time and try not to put him in situations involving strange dogs. It's all pretty fresh still.

If he's still doing this in a few months or he starts exhibiting psychosomatic type symptoms (i.e. bedwetting, night terrors, pulling hair out, etc.)then I'd definitely seek some professional help.

The bottom line: you know him better than anyone. If YOU think he needs more then follow your instinct.

Poor little guy. I'm so glad that he's healing well physically.
Blogger Unknown, at 6:17 PM  
Hi Jamie-
This is so awful. I have been following your story on your blog - just haven't commented yet. I have to agree with the waiting. It is very normal for him to be going through what you describe - and it will take time for him to feel safe again. And unfortunately he may not ever around big dogs.
I suggest that if he is still having problems in six months or so or if things get worse talk to a professional. Otherwise he probably just needs a lot of extra TLC.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Amy
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

Add a comment